Friday, February 12, 2010

China BMW Rider Blog: What Navigator To Get in China


Hello.

Well, since I don't really read any Chinese characters, I know it's pathetic after being here for almost a decade, but I have a real problem getting around. The cities are fine because most signs are written in Pingyin which is the Romanized version of Chinese characters, so life is much easier. But out there in the sticks Pingyin falls away and characters are all that exists. So getting the right Navigator was crucial to properly riding around in a land where I am virtually illiterate.

I ended up settling on the co-branded BMW + Garmin version; the BMW Motorrad Navigator IV. And wow, what an unbelievable machine. The 3D navigation is great. Tons of extra functions, listed below, but for me the most important thing is having those four big buttons on the left side, and the Bluetooth connect-ability of the device; which syncs seamlessly with my iPhone and Cardio headset and Mic in my helmet.

Now I ordered my Navigator online at Sierra BMW, my one-stop online shop for purchasing equipment from China. The device was on my doorstep within about two weeks, which is a great turn around for China.

I've been using this Navigator for a few days now and I'm very pleased. I think the key to the device is that the screen is massive and bright and the touch screen reacts well to taps using big bulky gloves. A full list of the specs of the device can be found on the Garmin website.

Now, the big question is what did I do about my mapping software. There has been a lot of online talk about people brining Navigators from Europe or North America in to China and not having them work, and that may be true but I think I've found the solution. First, I bought my Navigator from the US and had it shipped over. Why, because Garmin in China only sell car models, sad but true. Then instead of downloading the China map from the Garmin website I visited the China mapping experts, Beijing Unistrong.

I found their English website, top right corner, and found their Shanghai office and pitch up with my BMW Naviagator. Not only did they help sort me out with the China NT City Map, they wouldn't let me leave until it was installed perfectly and we even did a little test outside walking around their office building. First class service from the folks at Unistrong, their Shanghai office address is below.

Beijing Unistrong Science & Technology Co., LTD.
FLOOR 4TH. 12 UNIT, NO. 159
TIANZHOU RD. XUHUI DC.
SHANGHAI 200233
Phone: 86 21 51538880
Fax: 86 21 54452060
Website: HTTP://WWW.UNISTRONG.COM

Well, that's how I've navigated this situation. I hope it helps. More on this space.

Ryan Pyle
Photographer / BMW Motorcycle Owner
Location: Shanghai, China
Email: ryan@ryanpyle.com
Website: www.ryanpyle.com
Video: Ryan Pyle Video
Mobile: +86 137 9521 9650
BMW China: BMWCHINA

No comments:

Post a Comment